Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Better Know Two Crafters: Laurel-Along-ing with Becky and Sara!

Two of our favorite ladies have been spending a lot of time in our sewing studio lately during Open Sew Nights! They've been on a Laurel-making adventure, whipping up cute Laurel dresses and tops left and right. You may know these presh ladies from around town--Becky is one of the Fancy Tiger Clothing folks, and the woman behind Becky's Buttons & Things. Sara is one of our favorite local artists (although Denver stole her away from her homeland of Canada). In addition to their love of making Laurels, Becky and Sara also join forces making miniature illustrated worlds with their collaborative Diorama Lockets.

Becky Wareing Steele & Sara Guindon


Tell us about your crafty selves.
Becky: I am a compulsive crafter. I try to create something every day whether it be something for myself, a gift, or for my business (insert shameless promotion here...) I love to crochet, sew and mainly work with miniatures.

Sara: I'm an illustrator and I like to draw and paint people. I'm new to sewing, but I used to do a lot of felt applique, and I have some English paper peicing for on the go.


Tell us about the Laurels you've made.
Becky: This was my first time sewing with a pattern. Sara encouraged me to try the Laurel pattern from Colette and now I'm addicted.

Sara: I made three Laurel dresses. It was fun adding extra details like contrasting bias tape and applique collars.


How did each of you learn to sew? 
Becky: I came from a long line of crafters. My grandfather taught arts and crafts at a prison in Philidelphia and, even though we never met, he's been a huge inspiration of mine. 

Sara: A long time ago I used to hand sew applique bags. Then I started making small alterations on my home sewing machine. Now I want to learn how to follow patterns--I'm addicted to Colette Sewing Patterns.


What is your favorite animal?
Becky: I love all animals, but I live with two cats.

Sara: My boring answer is dogs. Visually I like giraffes because they have big eyes and long eyelashes. 

Thanks Becky and Sara! Happy crafting!

No comments: